Site Navigation

Customer Login

Need help logging in?

Did You Know?

Every time you flush the toilet you use 5-7 gallons of water.


Boston Water and Sewer Commission (BWSC) requires various permits for work that involves the water, sewer or storm drain systems. Below is a listing of these permits and links to the description, fees and procedural requirements. BWSC works closely with federal, state and other city agencies and departments to maintain continuity for projects seeking permit approvals within the City. In many situations, BWSC’s site plan approvals is a prerequisite for future city permitting. If you need additional information, please contact BWSC’s Engineering Customer Services Department at 617-989-7600.

Dewatering Permits

A Dewatering Permit application must be filed for certain discharges to BWSC’s wastewater or storm drainage system and the contractor is responsible for researching BWSC’s wastewater maps to determine whether the discharge is to a sanitary sewer, combined sewer or storm drain.

Hydrant Meter Permits

Hydrant meter permits are available for construction purposes.

Stormwater Permit for Construction Sites

Owners, developers or general contractors are responsible for stormwater management on their construction sites and may need to obtain permits from federal state or local authorities. BWSC has prepared a helpful brochure to determine what permits and from which authority you will need to obtain them from.


Copyright © 2015 Boston Water and Sewer Commission 980 Harrison Ave. Boston, MA 02119 617-989-7000