When the temperature is extremely cold, water pipes in your home or business may freeze. To help prevent frozen pipes, take the following precautions:
• Know where the water shutoff valve is in your home and how to turn it off.
• Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
• Seal openings in your home to prevent cold air from leaking through.
• Allow a slow trickle of water to flow through faucets connected to water pipes that run through unheated spaces.
• Insulate pipes in unheated spaces such as garages, basements, and crawl spaces.
• Protect your water meter from icy drafts and freezing temperatures. Most frozen meters are caused by drafts from an open basement door or window.