In the event your service is terminated, the property owner must contact BWSC Customer Service at 617-989-7800 to determine how long a water service has been inactive.
Water Service Restoration
Inactive for Less Than 12 Months
If BWSC confirms that the property’s water service has been inactive for less than 12 months follow the directions based on the reason for service termination.
Inactive for More Than 12 Months
If BWSC determines that the property’s water service has been inactive for 12 months or more, the owner must comply with the following requirements as well as any other requirements deemed necessary:
- Instruct BWSC to analyze the material composition of the water service to ensure it is copper.
- If the material is lead, the owner will need to replace the lead with copper pipe before service is restored. BWSC has a Lead Replacement Incentive Program. This work must be performed by a bonded and licensed contractor.
- Submit in writing to BWSC a request for the restoration of the water service.
- Pay off any outstanding balance or fees on your account.
- Submit a video inspection (colored and narrated) of the inside of the sewer lateral from building cleanout to BWSC’s sewer main. If the sewer line needs repair, it must be completed before water service is restored. This work must be performed by an insured and licensed contractor.
- Inspect all water, sewer and storm drain connections. These connections must be current with BWSC’s standards and specifications.
- Submit a copy of the Building and Occupancy Permit.
- Submit a photo of the front elevation of building taken at the time of sewer video.
- Submit video, permits, and photograph at the time of filing GSA to reactivate the account.
- Complete a General Service Application (GSA) and submit all supporting documents and the $335.00 application fee.
Once the above has been completed and approved, make an appointment with Customer Service at 617-989-7800 to install a water meter and Meter Transmission Unit (MTU).
If you have any questions on the above procedures, contact Customer Service at 617-989-7800.
Reasons for Service Termination
Shut off for Vacancy
The owner can request a service shut off for repairs or temporary vacancy. The owner of the property must pay off any outstanding balance on the account and then submit a written request to BWSC.
To restore the water service submit to BWSC a written request for service restoration. In addition, BWSC will install a meter and meter transmission unit (MTU), if needed.
Written requests can be mailed to Customer Service at:
Boston Water and Sewer Commission
Attn: Customer Service
980 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02119
or fax to 617-989-7710 Attn: Customer Service
Shut off for Non-Payment
Service may be terminated if your bill is at least 60 days past due and carries a delinquent balance of over $250.00. To restore service, the owner of the property must pay off any outstanding balance on the account and if needed, BWSC will install a meter and meter transmission unit (MTU).
Contact Collections at 617-989-7070.
Shut off for Illegal Connection
Your service may be terminated if your plumbing contains an illegal connection. To restore service, the homeowner must notify BWSC that the illegal connection has been disconnected. BWSC will then inspect the premises.
Shut off for Leak Up To Owner (LUTO)
Your service may be terminated if you fail to repair a leak or defective plumbing that is your responsibility. When BWSC determines that a leak exists on the owner’s portion of a water service pipe or fire pipe, it is the owner's responsibility to repair the leak. The owner may have up to 15 days to repair the leak. If you have questions about LUTO, please contact Operations at 617-989-7900.
To restore water service:
- The owner must complete a General Service Application (GSA) with all supporting documents
- Upon approval, the BWSC will contact you to schedule an inspection of the property
If you need information on the GSA, please call Engineering Customer Service at 617-989-7600.
Shut off for Denied Access
If you have denied a BWSC representative access to your home or business to obtain an actual meter read, conduct an inspection, or install an automated meter reading (AMR) system, you must call Customer Service at 617-989-7800 to reschedule.
Water Use Regulations
You can find out more about your rights by contacting Customer Service at 617-989-7800. To find out more about water use regulations you may download a copy of the Water Use Regulations.